Friday, June 26, 2015

A day with Grandma: genealogy treasures

The first question I asked myself as I sat with my wonderful Grandma was this: "Why hadn't I done this sooner?!"  I really don't know why I didn't ask my grandmother more questions when I was younger.  I had such an interest in family history when I was younger, but I guess I just got caught up on how to use technology to help me along.  My grandma didn't know how to use it and back then, it was a lot harder to use. But I am thankful to now know that my grandma had self- appointed herself as the family historian when she was just 13 years old!  And that's when things were a lot harder to find.  But she has done some great work and I am so glad she is still around to help me out with my own research.

Well, I took the opportunity to record our time together and boy I'm glad I did!  I sure heard a lot of great stories that were new to me and I am so excited about all the things I learned.  And my grandma was so willing to share anything she had!  I brought home copies of vital records and pictures I had never seen and two bags of books full of histories of my relatives.  I couldn't believe all the things my Grandma had!  I can't wait to find distant cousins and see everything else that is out there!

One story I found out was of my great grandparents, my Grandma Litster's parents: Earl Brown Nielsen and Wanda Stewart.  I was so very lucky to have known them both when I was little.  I was doing some research before meeting with Grandma in order to have some questions to and see what else needed to be discovered.  I found Earl Nielsen at age 21 in the 1940 census and listed as his occupation was a taxi driver for a cab company in Salt Lake City Utah.  I had no idea!

 I was so excited to talk to Grandma about it.  Well I'm glad I did because she told me the story of how her parents met.  Earl went to visit his friend nicknamed Pop who had a date that night so Pop told him to come along.  Well, the girl on the date was Wanda and when she found out that Earl was a taxi driver, she told him her address cause she knew that he would remember it. Well Earl went to visit her the next day and they were together every since.  Pop was still their loyal friend until he passed away.

It's amazing what a little research can do to help you ask the right questions!  Thanks Grandma for an amazing day and letting me share the story!

If you have any information about taxi drivers in Salt Lake in the 1940's please let me know.  Thanks for reading!
My Great Grandparents as I remember them: Earl Brown Nielsen and Wanda Anita Stewart

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the world of obsessed family historians! You are creating a gift of immeasurable value for your family whether or not they're totally aware of it today. What a sweet story sbout your great grandparents. I've got a little genealogy blog myself (deerparkdescendants.blogspot.com) but have been so busy reading Evidence Explained and working in my source citations that I've been neglecting the blog. Enjoy the journey!

    ReplyDelete